Poisonous Zamboni sends 81 people to hospital

An ice resurfacer is being blamed for sending 81 people to the hospital in Wisconsin after officials revealed a carbon monoxide leak in the propane-fueled vehicle caused fans and players to become ill.

The Olympia machine was not properly combusting propane from the tanks, a local fire chief told the Star Tribune. This resulted in a Minnesota Junior Hockey League game between the Dells Ducks and Rochester Ice Hawks becoming the source of the illness, where people were said to be experiencing nausea, vomiting and fainting. One player fainted on Saturday and was hospitalized early Sunday morning where he was receiving Oxygen therapy. Head coach Bill Zaniboni told reporters the player would not resume practice until Wednesday.

The resurfacer has been taken out of commission. Poppy Waterman Ice Arena was not required to have carbon monoxide sensors under state law.

December 15, 2014 by : Posted in Uncategorized No Comments

Leave a Reply