Phone call shows NFL executive promised Adrian Peterson 2-game suspension
A phone call shows Troy Vincent, the NFL executive vice president of football operations, promised Adrian Peterson a two-game suspension.
A recorded phone call obtained by ABC News shows proof that the NFL promised Adrian Peterson a two-game suspension in November, just six days before the Minnesota Vikings running back received a suspension for the remainder of the 2014 season.
On the phone call, NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent can be heard telling Peterson that a two-game suspension would be on the way. When Peterson asks Vincent if the suspension will be two additional games or if his time on the commissioner’s exempt list would count as time served, Vincent appears to confirm that Peterson had already served his suspension and would be eligible to return as soon as possible.
Peterson received a full-season suspension on Nov. 18 and an appeal to overturn the suspension was denied on Friday. The NFL Players Association filed a lawsuit on Peterson’s behalf on Monday to challenge the suspension in federal court.
Vincent, a former Pro Bowl defensive back with the Philadelphia Eagles, also said on the phone call that the light suspension would be due to the fact that the NFL’s newly enacted personal conduct policy wouldn’t apply to Peterson.
“So remember this, A.P., you’re not, today, you are not subject to the, to the new Personal Conduct Policy,” Vincent said, according to Bloomberg News.
The Vikings placed Peterson on the the exempt list on Sept. 17, five days after he was indicted for reckless or negligent injury to a child by a Texas court. Peterson received a $4,000 fine and probation after signing a plea of no contest in November to misdemeanor charges of reckless assault.