Five-star QB Jarrett Stidham could decide between Baylor, Oregon this week

A second visit to Waco in just more than a week has all signs pointing to the Bears landing 247Sports’ No. 1 dual-threat quarterback.

The recruiting process is moving quickly for Stephenville (Texas) quarterback Jarrett Stidham after his unexpected decommitment from the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Saturday night.

According to ESPN’s Gerry Hamilton, Stidham visited with the Baylor Bears coaching staff on Sunday and could decide this week between the Bears and the Oregon Ducks.

Both Baylor and Oregon were considered strong candidates to land the services of the consensus five-star prospect when he originally committed to Texas Tech back in March.

The Sunday visit to Baylor was the second trip to Waco in eight days for Stidham, who managed to keep his visit on December 6 a secret until after his decommitment.

Baylor head coach Art Briles and two members of his offensive staff also met with Stidham on December 10, so there has been plenty of contact between the two parties in the month of December.

As a result, the Bears have become the overwhelming favorite to receive a commitment from the 6’4, 190-pounder, especially since it’s hard to imagine that he would decide to stray so far from home without taking a trip to Eugene first.

Baylor currently holds 67% of the predictions in the 247Sports Crystal Ball projections. Considering that the other 33% belong to the spurned Red Raiders, the industry is essentially unanimous at this time that Stidham will end up in green and gold.

The high-flying offense run by Briles and his success developing quarterbacks makes the Bears an attractive program for Stidham, who would have an opportunity to compete for the starting job next fall with current sophomore Seth Russell and redshirt freshman Chris Johnson. Russell has thrown for eight touchdowns and one interception this season while filling in for Bryce Petty, who missed time with a back injury and a concussion this season.

Briles also has significant connections to Stephenville after serving as the head coach there from 1989 to 1999, a fact that led many to consider Baylor the early leader in Stidham’s recruitment.

A pledge from Stidham would launch Baylor from No. 40 nationally in the 247Sports Composite team rankings all the way up to No. 30, ahead of conference rival TCU.

December 15, 2014 by : Posted in Uncategorized No Comments

Leave a Reply