Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s Daytona 500 winning car is No. 1 sold NASCAR die-cast in 2014
Earnhardt die-casts were six of the top-10 best-sellers this past season.
That Dale Earnhardt Jr. had the No. 1 die-cast of 2014 is of little surprise, as it’s an honor usually reserved for NASCAR’s most popular driver. Even less surprising is that the most sought after die-cast is that of Earnhardt’s Daytona 500 race-winning car.
And the combined effect of Earnhardt winning the sport’s most prestigious race is the No. 88 Chevy is also the best-selling die-cast in the history of Lionel Racing, the official die-cast manufacturer of NASCAR.
“When the NASCAR season kicks off with Dale Jr. winning the Daytona 500, it’s a safe bet that die-cast sales across the board will skyrocket,” said Howard Hitchcock, President of Lionel Racing. “His win really set the tone for our year overall — we have had a very good season.”
In addition to his Daytona 500 triumph, Earnhardt won three other races including a popular first win at Martinsville Speedway and a sweep of both events at Pocono Raceway. Earnhardt’s standard National Guard paint scheme, which he used at Martinsville, was No. 2 on Lionel’s die-cast rankings. The designs Earnhardt incorporated at Pocono ranked fifth and sixth, respectively.
Overall, Earnhardt had six of the 10 best-selling die-casts in 2014. Other drivers cracking the list were Austin Dillon, Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick and Tony Stewart. Dillon’s inclusion in top-10 is notable, as the rookie returned the iconic No. 3 to NASCAR’s premier division following a 13-year absence.
“The story of the No. 3 car’s return to Cup competition really resonated with both long-time and new NASCAR fans,” Hitchcock said. “It’s great to see a rising star like Dillon make our top-10 list.”
Lionel’s top-10 selling die-casts of 2014 are as follows:
1. Dale Earnhardt Jr. No. 88 National Guard/Daytona 500 Win Chevrolet
2. Dale Earnhardt Jr. No. 88 National Guard Chevrolet
3. Dale Earnhardt Jr. No. 88 National Guard Hall of Heroes/Superman Chevrolet
4. Austin Dillon No. 3 Dow Automotive Chevrolet
5. Dale Earnhardt Jr. No. 88 National Guard/Pocono Win Chevrolet
6. Dale Earnhardt Jr. No. 88 Michael Baker/Pocono Win Chevrolet
7. Jeff Gordon No. 24 AARP/Drive to End Hunger Chevrolet
8. Kevin Harvick No. 4 Budweiser Chevrolet SS
9. Tony Stewart No. 14 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet
10. Dale Earnhardt Jr. No. 88 Diet Mountain Dew Chevrolet