Cristiano Ronaldo’s hometown built a terrible statue of him
He’s the most recognizable athlete in the world, and you got it wrong.
Madeira is a pretty big Portuguese island that is known for two things: wine and Cristiano Ronaldo.
The Real Madrid superstar is the island’s greatest export (but if you can have wine and Ronaldo together, more power to you), and they honored him on Sunday by unveiling a statue of him. The only problem is that the statue looked nothing like him.
Cristiano Ronaldo has unveiled a statue of himself in his hometown of Madeira today. pic.twitter.com/3WfhxwKVIt
— Purely Football (@PurelyFootball) December 21, 2014
1. They got his free kick stance right! Kind of. It’s right based on the curve established by the rest of the statue.
2. Ronaldo has a very unique face, and yet the face on the statue is entirely generic.
3. He hasn’t been using that hairstyle for years.
4. That statue had to make Ronaldo’s upper body more muscular because regular Ronaldo isn’t in absurdly impressive shape, apparently.
5. Nice bulge.
6. It loses all credibility because it has a shirt on.