Córdoba were part of the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything
Who knew that Douglas Adams’ famous joke was actually about how long Los Califas would go between wins in La Liga.
On Saturday in Spain, Córdoba CF defeated Athletic Club 1-0, giving Los Califas their first victory in La Liga in 42 years.
Yes, you read that right. 42 years.
In the big scheme of the universe 42 years isn’t that big of a deal, but when you scale it down to the average lifespan of a human being, it’s quite a long time. Córdoba’s last victory in La Liga came in May of 1972 when they defeated Barcelona 1-0. They finished 17th that season and were relegated from the top flight, beginning a stretch of 42 seasons spent in the lower divisions by the Andalusian club.
Just for fun let’s go back in time a moment and take a look at the world in 1972.
- Francisco Franco was still in power in Spain, a little over two years away from his death in 1975.
- President Nixon made an unprecedented eight-day visit to China meeting with Mao Zedong. Much later Spock would say, “Only Nixon could go to China”.
- Eleven Israeli athletes were killed at Olympic Games in Munich after an extremist Palestinian terrorist group invaded the Olympic Village.
- Five men were apprehended attempting to place listening devices in the Democratic National Committee headquarters in Washington, D.C. It was the beginning of the Watergate scandal.
- These classic albums were released in 1972: Rolling Stones – Exile on Main Street, David Bowie – The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, Elton John – Honky Chateau and Deep Purple – Machine Head.
- Carol King’s It’s Too Late won Record of the Year, while her album Tapestry won Album of the Year.
- The French Connection won Best Picture at the Oscars.
- The Godfather was released in theaters.
- The Dallas Cowboys won the Super Bowl, the Oakland A’s won the World Series, the LA Lakers won the NBA title and the Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup. UCLA were the national champions in men’s college basketball, while USC won the national title in football.
- HBO, the first pay cable network, was launched.
- M.A.S.H. premiered on CBS.
- The CAT scan was developed in England, compact discs were invented and the drug Prozac was developed.
- NASA completed the final manned mission to the moon (Apollo 17).
Córdoba are currently 19th in La Liga, but only a point away from safety.
There’s still a long way to go though and it seems logical assume that if they want to avoid returning to the second division, they’ll need avoid another 42 year streak without a top flight win.